So the trip started out in Alexandria, Virginia where we stayed. Tony was there for a convention and had to be there for most of the day, but we did have the evenings and most of Saturday. So when we got there on Wednesday night we took a quick tour of Old Town. Really, it wasn't that amazing. They were neat buildings, but then it would be a law office or hair salon inside and kind of ruin the effect. I wish I had been able to see the museums or go on one of their famous "Ghost Tours", but our schedule was tricky, so we just looked around.
This is what a lot of the houses looked like.
This is a back alleyway. Look at the roads! Cobblestone! This was more like it.
I actually took these pictures the next day when I went out in the city with Tony's boss's wife and daughter. Then that evening, Tony and I went and saw the white house and all of the monuments in the National Mall. This night was by far my favorite!
The Washington Monument
This is a video of a guy singing out in front of the white house.
The Lincoln Memorial
The Korean Memorial. The Korean monument with all of the statues was my favorite. It was such a solemn place. The statues of soldiers walking through the foliage were so life like that you just felt quieted by the reality of the war. Everyone that came near it was instantly reverant.
This is the wall of names for the Vietnam Memorial
Later that night, Tony and I went back to Alexandria and discovered that DC is nothing like New York. NOTHING is open after 8. And restaraunts aren't much of an exception. It was tough to find a place to eat. I had been so excited to see the monuments that I made poor Tony starve to death while we looked at them. Stopping for dinner was not an option. So when we got back to Alexandria at midnight, there was nowhere to eat. Luckily we found this little dive on King St. I'm so glad we did. It was delicious!! I loved it so much that I took a picture.....of a restaurant. That means it's good!
The next day I went to Mt. Vernon while Tony was at the convention. I went with his boss's fam again. I think I could've stayed there for much longer than the 4 hours that I was there.
George and Martha Washington's tomb
On the way to Mt. Vernon while we were riding the water Taxi, three presidential helicopters flew overhead. The captian of the boat told us that when there were three of them, it meant that the President was on one of them. So my DC trip was officially complete. I even saw the President!
The next day was Saturday and we had a lot more time and we spent it at some museums. We went to the Holocaust Museum, the Museum of Natural History, and The Museum of Air and Space. I wish I could've seen them all. I think next time I'd like the see the Museum of American History.
A Prehistoric Giant Sloth. CRAZY!! I think this was Tony's favorite because it was so shockingly huge!
The Hope Diamond
Our last stop. The Capitol building. By this time I can honestly say that my feet HURT! I was officially done. It was such a great trip and very nice for Tony and I to get some much needed R&R together.
Thank you frequent flyer miles and NovaRad for an awesome trip!
What an awesome trip!! Love all the pics and hope to see more! So glad you got to go with Tony. Maybe next time it will be with me! ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you guys got to visit DC! Isn't it amazing? I loved all of your photos and I'm wishing I could go there right about now too! Hope all is well :)
ReplyDeletePS. I saw your parents at Alex & Erica's wedding (Dan's little bro) they are so cute - I love your mom. I asked her to tell you hi for me, so hopefully she did!!